Warsaw, Poland – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement after Congress DThe delegation concluded its visit to Poland and Ukraine:
“Today in Warsaw, our Congress delegation had the honor to meet with President Andrzej Duda and express our thanks for the generosity and hospitality offered by the Polish people to the Ukrainian people. We discussed the centrality of the U.S.-Polish partnership in providing security, economic and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine, as well as the importance of strengthening the NATO alliance to counter Putin’s aggression. their commitment to continue working together to deepen our bilateral relationship to advance our mutual security.
“Our delegation also had the pleasure of meeting with Marshal Elżbieta Witek, Speaker of the Sejm, and members of the Sejm to discuss our legislatures’ shared commitment and work to further strengthen the important ties between the United States and the Poland.
“It was particularly meaningful to visit sites steeped in history for the Polish people. Our members had the solemn privilege of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We were deeply moved by this striking monument to the memory of many brave Polish soldiers who gave their lives for freedom and democracy – not only for their nation but for the world. Then we laid daffodils at the Ghetto Uprising Memorial, prayed for those murdered in the Holocaust, and renewed our vow: Never Again. We visited the Museum of Polish Jews, located on the site of the Warsaw Ghetto: a land scarred by the horror unleashed by the Nazis and consecrated by the heroism of the men and women of the Uprising.
“Throughout our meetings, the people we met were grateful to our CODEL members for the knowledge, experience and commitment they brought to the challenges we face. I am proud that the members of our delegation were strong representatives of the American commitment to the NATO alliance and to Ukraine. Our delegation returns to Washington with additional and deeply inspired insight into our commitments, as we continue our work to further support Ukraine, so that democracy triumphs over dictatorship.
Members of the delegation:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Speaker Jim McGovern, Chairman of the House Committee on Rules; co-chair of the Congressional Executive Commission on China; Human Rights Commission Co-Chair Tom Lantos
- Chairman Gregory Meeks, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Chairman Adam Schiff, Chairman of the House Standing Select Committee on Intelligence
- Barbara Lee, Congresswoman, Chair of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Congressman Bill Keating, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy and the Environment; Member of the House Armed Services Committee
- Congressman Jason Crow, member of the House Standing Select Committee on Intelligence; Member of the House Armed Services Committee